Friday, January 21, 2011

SWAP till you DROP.

I don't think I do enough investigating into the world of Nothing New. And believe me...there is a WORLD of nothing newers out there achieving the same goals I have. It's wonderful to now be apart of this exploration! And it is indeed an exploration...
...of the mind
...of the culture in which we live
...through the mounds of used items that stand before me (gahhh!!)
...through the streets of Chicago and beyond to find the people and places that support my resolution
...to find the meaning behind our unsurmountable love of STUFF

Call me Alexandra the Great. And I shall conquer this world of Nothing New. 

My trusting Kenmore sewing machine
Next stop Swap-O-Rama-Rama. "Swap-O-Rama-Rama is a clothing swap and series of do-it-yourself workshops in which a community explores creative reuse through the recycling of used clothing,"(SwapORamaRama.org)...and accessories! I'm definitely there. And you should be to. If you'll be in the Chicago area Saturday February 12th. GO. And if you're not in the Chicago area either check the website above for a swap near you or come to Chicago-stay with me-and swap your clothes! Not only is it a swap, but a workshop for those saavy/not-so-saavy to create that unique personal item. My creativity game (and sewing machine) will be full-force come February 12th. (Thank you, Linda for sharing this with me!)  Chicago Swap-o-Rama-Rama Info








Don't commodify...MODIFY! Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! But alas, too far away.

    Laura and I have been doing exchanges of clothing and household items for a while now among a group of our friends. Everyone brings items they want to get rid of, then we put them in a big pile and go to town! Not only to we come away with some new treasures, but we have a great time connecting in the process.

    Over the course of the year we accumulated a lot of extras, so we saved them up and had a garage sale this summer. We raised $200 for the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Oregon, and we plan to have another sale this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is WONDERFUL!!!! What a great idea! I've been meaning to do a clothing swap w/ my friends--I'll get there ;-) Garage sale. The answer to many NOTHING NEW prayers...

    ReplyDelete