Sunday, January 16, 2011

Two Weeks and Two Days In. Two weeks and Two Days less to go.

Target. Oh that damn store.

I cannot recall the last time I made a visit to Target and came out with the ONE or TWO items I needed to buy. I arguably made the shortest and cheapest stop at Target.. ever. Yet, while I was there I still found myself moseying around the main aisle trying to think of something else to buy. I wanted so bad to do my usual routine: start at one end (usually where the clothes are) and end at the other end of the store, filling my cart with potentially useful, but definitely not needed items. 

I was also reminded of why NOT to shop at Target (Thanks, G). After all, it's not too far off from its competition Walmart.  Both of which have been criticized for their lack of employment benefits/wages, their relationship with sweatshop manufacturers, and as a "big box store," Target and Walmart take away from the small-business/ mom 'n pop shops in small towns and cities. These are just some main points..I could say more.

GAH. Next phase of nothing new: not to support big box stores. 

I've also managed to do quite well while at Nordstrom. I definitely ooooo'd and ahhhhhh'd over some cute Ray-ban sunglasses (even tried them on). I enjoyed my brief moment and that was it. I don't need them. End of story.

I have to emphasize (as I've mentioned previously) that I really enjoy shopping. Shopping for ANYTHING--whether groceries, school supplies, clothes---you get the point. I find peace in walking through the aisles gathering items-not necessarily BUYING just looking. Trying clothes on. Conjuring up ideas as to how this item might benefit me or my apartment or my sister or.. something.  This 'peaceful' moment is something I hope to really learn about during my resolution. Explore the reasoning behind it...and then find peace/enjoyment in something else for god sakes. Yoga? Sewing? Reading more for myself? I'm not sure. What things do you find peace in doing?

There have been numerous incidents where I've purchased something thanks to the initial "enjoyment" I felt in finding the item-- only later, while at home, far from the store, and $300 less in my bank account I realize---I don't need this jacket! And without question-return it the following day. It's during those times and plenty more that I have a feeling of guilt for spending foolishly. Just like most of us, I have been taught that having more somehow brings happiness. Will living more simply with just necessities ever be drilled in our heads?

One rule my mom reiterates to me (she stole it from Oprah)....DOUBT MEANS DON'T. This helps when you're at the point in which you for a moment question your about-to-be-new item. The moment you question yourself about it-- is the moment you should put it back. During those times you do treat yourself and you want to purchase that special UN-needed, but very wanted item, you should never doubt your purchase. Why spend money just to spend it? Or buy something just to buy it? Put the item back and if you're still thinking about the item a few days later go back and get it. ***disclosure*** I'm still working on this word of advice. (Thanks, Ma)

What's great about this resolution is not only do I receive support from you folks, but SHOES too! Check out these Franco Sarto cowboy boots Mary (Graham's mom) gave me! They're perhaps the most expensive free item I own. Wore them out last night and they were perfect. (Thank you, Mary!) I've also received an afghan blanket---not from Afghanistan---from my aunt as well as a tea kettle! (Thanks, Auntie!)

This week I composed myself at Nordstrom, was given some great items and went to Target for things that I needed. And left with those items and nothing else. I stuck with necessities. With that said, I will leave you with a wonderful article of inspiration that my sister shared with me from CNN Money. 

My Spending Fast: I saved $18,000 and the woman who the article is about has a blog And Then She Saved .

5 comments:

  1. I find enjoyment in running recently (as if you didn't know this already). I wonder if you started running if it would improve your pulmonary fuction? Or worsen it? ...on that thought, maybe stick with yoga.

    Also, I had no idea you tried on Ray Ban's yesterday! I really would've liked to have seen what they look like on "us". Oh well, I don't need em either. I'm STILL rockin my awesome shades from France that are now 3 years old--yay me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict that by the end of the year you'll be an expert thrifter & you'll FIND RAY BANS.

    They're out there -- looming in hidden consignment stores. PROMISE. Mike AND Brittani have some second hand Bans...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at what you said about Target. I've been avoiding that place lately because I know it's my kryptonite...and there is one within walking distance from my house.

    Nice score on the fun free shoes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've avoided Target for two months. It's about 5 minutes from where I live. It's hard to walk out of there empty-handed! Good luck with your resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jessica and Elizabeth! Glad to know Target isn't just a weakness for me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete